Whether you are looking for a job or trying to get your background screening process up to speed, it makes sense to wonder what background checks employers do. In today’s post, we tackle this important topic. Keep reading to learn more.
What Background Checks Do Employers Do?
There’s no simple answer to this question because each employer will perform the background checks they need depending on the compliance requirements of their industry and the characteristics of the position they are looking to fill.
For example, background checks commonly used for employees in the financial industry are different from those required for commercial drivers.
With that being said, some background checks are more common than others. Here are some examples of the most prevalent:
- Criminal county. Search of criminal records available at a county court level.
- Criminal federal. Information about offenses prosecuted at a federal level.
- Education verification. Used to confirm the schools and academic institutions a candidate has attended.
- Employment verification. Helps corroborate an individual’s past work experience.
- Driving record report. Uses driving records to provide a detailed account of an individual’s driving history
- Credit report. A summary of a person’s credit activity and credit situation at present
- Sanctions list. Checks a candidate’s identity against databases of individuals sanctioned by the U.S. government.
To learn more about other types of background screening available to employers, take a look at the section “Background Screening” on our website.
Why Are Background Checks Important?
Background checks are important because they help companies make informed hiring decisions that promote growth instead of hampering it. Using the information obtained through background checks, employers can form an accurate picture of an applicant’s past, capabilities, and experience.
However, legal compliance is a key concern when screening candidates. There are multiple levels of legislation to keep in mind (such as state and federal), even in the cases where background screening may appear straightforward.
That’s why choosing a capable and experienced background screening company helps ensure that you obtain high-quality data while complying with all applicable regulations.
For more answers to common questions about background screening, read our previous blogs, “Do Background Checks Show Employment History?” and “Will a Background Check Show a DUI?”
Plexus Global: Background Screening Services in California and Beyond
Plexus Global is a California-based background screening company serving organizations all over the U.S. and abroad.
Contact us today by telephone (844-516-1008), email (email@example.com), or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.